Cash fare – single trip (cash paid to driver)
Adult single – $3.00
Child single – $2.00
Cash transfer fare – (cash paid to driver)
Allows you to transfer at Rose Street from one route to another within one hour of first boarding. This ticket cannot be used for a return trip on the same route.
Adult – $4.00
Child – $2.50
The Okara Loop
All passengers – $1 per trip
Adult – $2.50
Child – $1.60 – only NRC authorised Smartcards are eligible for the child fare – see Child Concession Fares below
Smartcards can be purchased and topped up from:
- Pepe’s Dairy – Onerahi Shopping Centre
- Rose Street Bus Terminus – Monday to Friday between 7.30am and 9.30am and again at 3.00pm to 5.30pm
A top up machine (eft-pos and Credit card only) is also located at the Northland Regional Council, 36 Water Street, Whangarei.
NB: the old ten-trip concession tickets were removed from sale in March 2014 and are no longer valid for travel on any CityLink service.
Child Concession Fares
A child is someone aged 5-14 years of age (inclusive), or someone who is still attending a secondary school, and can produce a photo identification card as proof of attendance – find out more. Students buying smartcards from the retail network will need email email@example.com and attach either a birth certificate or a scanned copy of their secondary school photo identification card to have the smartcard loaded with a child concession rate. This will entitle them to the $1.60 fare per trip on their smartcards.
These concessions will expire at the end of February each year, when proof of attendance at school will be required from secondary school students. Northland Regional Council staff will be in touch with all Whangarei secondary schools in February to remind students to renew their eligibility with us.
CityLink does not offer a discounted fare for tertiary students or those students not attending secondary schools.
Notes about fares
- Transfer fares should be requested from the driver at the start of your trip. This allows you to transfer to other routes within 60 minutes of purchasing your ticket (but excludes return trip).
- Children under five travel for free.
- SuperGold card holders travel for free during off-peak hours – find out more